Aggressively Defending Clients Against Federal Charges
Federal offenses are among the most serious criminal charges you can face in this country. They can also be extremely stressful, time-consuming, and intimidating. That is because offenses at this level are often filed after months or even years of investigation by such high-level law enforcement agencies as the FBI, the DEA, the ATF, the Secret Service, and more. They are then prosecuted in the federal criminal court system where penalties are generally much harsher than for state criminal charges. These cases are handled by aggressive prosecutors and punished by federal judges with the full funding and resources of the federal government.
When facing federal criminal charges, you will need an attorney who is licensed to practice in federal court and who is familiar with how the system works. Better yet, you will want a criminal defense lawyer who has jury trial experience and who can match the prosecutor in competence, drive, and commitment to your case. At The Region Lawyers, you can bring your case to a proven federal offense attorney who fulfills these requirements. Our attorney has extensive experience handling jury trials and has defended clients in such serious charges as RICO, drugs and murder in court at the federal level.
Facing a federal offense? Call The Region Lawyers at 219-961-3814 for a free consultation or contact us online.
What Are Federal Crimes?
Federal crimes include many issues and scenarios. However, they rise to the federal level because they violate federal laws, cross state lines, or take place on federal land or against federal officials. In some cases, the offense may start out being investigated by state authorities while, at some point, it becomes so serious, complex, or far-reaching that the federal government will step in. The state and federal government may then work together to prosecute the crime. The matter of jurisdiction can be a complicated one and is handled on a case-by-case basis.
Examples of federal offenses can include but are not limited to:
- Drug crimes, such as large-scale drug manufacturing and trafficking operations
- Sex offenses, especially those involving children, such as sexual exploitation of a child, sexual abuse of a child, sale or purchase of a child for sexual intent, the creation and distribution of child pornography, and human trafficking of children
- Human trafficking, involuntary servitude, and forced labor of both children and adults
- Gun offenses, such as the improper purchase, sale, possession, or use of firearms when these activities cross state lines or involve weapons that are illegal to all citizens
- Violent crimes, such as murder, manslaughter, rape, and armed robbery
- White collar offenses, such as securities fraud, Medicare and other healthcare fraud, mortgage fraud, insurance fraud, Ponzi schemes, bank and wire fraud, anti-trust violations, counterfeiting, credit card fraud, wire fraud and more
- Terrorist activity
- Tax evasion
- Violations of immigration laws
Federal Criminal Penalties
The penalties that you will face in a federal case tend to be harsher than those for state offenses. This is because they simply carry more severe sentences and many have “enhancement” factors that can increase your punishment. For example, a federal crime carried out while using a deadly weapon will lead to more serious consequences. Additionally, federal judges are often restricted by federal sentencing guidelines, prosecutors have fewer options when negotiating a plea deal, and offenders are generally required to serve a minimum of 85 percent of their sentence.
Get Immediate Help In Any Federal Case
The time to bring in our seasoned federal defense attorneys is as soon as possible. If you believe you are being investigated, it is not too soon to retain our services. You will want to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you do not do anything, even inadvertently, to harm your case. In some cases, a negotiated plea bargain may be your best option. In others, you may wind up in federal court where you will need an effective strategy and an attorney skilled at arguing on your behalf in seeking the best possible result. The Region Lawyers is here to provide you with all methods of fighting federal charges in an aggressive and comprehensive manner.
Reach out to our firm online or at 219-961-3814 to discuss your case today. While our office is in Merrillville, we work with clients throughout The Region, the state of Indiana and northern Illinois.