Strategic Legal Representation For Criminal Charges State And Federal Court
For over a decade, The Region Lawyers has devoted a large portion of its practice to defending clients against criminal charges in both state and federal courts. Our team does so with all-out effort and dedication knowing that the quality of our work ensures that your rights are fully protected. When at risk of consequences that can seriously impact your reputation, family, freedom, and future, you need a legal team in your corner that will use all of its experience, ability, and effort to fight for your best outcome. Our firm’s objective is to ensure that your rights are zealously defended and that you receive the aggressive backup you need and deserve when facing a criminal justice system that can often seem stacked against you.
What Types Of Cases Do We Handle?
State and federal criminal charges vary significantly depending on the nature of the offense, whether any mitigating or aggravating factors are involved, and whether you have previous convictions. You may be facing a minor misdemeanor or a very serious federal felony. Either way, you can depend on The Region Lawyers for dedicated legal service designed to help you reach a fair and just outcome.
We handle all state and federal arrests and charges including but not limited to the following:
- DUI/OWI that involves operating a vehicle while impaired from alcohol and/or drugs, whether a first or subsequent offense
- Drug crimes, including simple possession, possession with intent to distribute, sales, distribution, cultivation or manufacturing, or large-scale trafficking of controlled substances, such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, unauthorized prescription medicines, and more
- Federal offenses that can range from drug trafficking to white collar crimes, murder, gun offenses, human trafficking, armed robbery, and more
- State offenses, from simple assault to domestic violence crimes, reckless driving, driving on a suspended license, other traffic crimes, and more
- Theft offenses ranging from shoplifting to burglary, receiving stolen property, forgery, embezzlement, and other forms of theft
- Sex crimes that can range from indecent exposure to child molestation, child pornography, sexual battery, rape, drugs and more
- Violent offenses, such as aggravated assault, manslaughter, robbery, and murder
- Weapons charges, such as unlawful possession, unlawful disposition of a gun, and other offenses
The Region Lawyers also provide experienced legal representation for individuals seeking post-conviction relief such as appeals and expungements where you are petitioning to have your criminal record sealed so as to not be accessible to the public.
Have you been charged with a crime in Indiana? Call 219-961-3814 or contact The Region Lawyers online for a free initial consultation with a criminal defense lawyer today. The sooner you call, the sooner we can get started on your case.
What Is A Defense Attorney?
A defense attorney or defense lawyer is a type of attorney who represents those charged with a crime during criminal proceedings. You may hire a private criminal defense lawyer or one will be appointed to you (a public defender) by the court system. If you or a loved one has been arrested and charged with a crime, consider having experienced counsel on your side — reach out to a Merrillville criminal defense attorney from The Region Lawyers as soon as possible.
Who Does The Defense Attorney Represent?
The defense attorney represents the defendant. In a criminal defense case, the defendant is the person who is accused and has been charge with a crime.
What Do Criminal Defense Lawyers Do?
Before a trial, the defense lawyer will investigate the case and determine if there is a possibility that you may be acquitted of the crime. If you work with our Gary criminal defense lawyers, we will guide you through your defense and let you know what your options are, and develop a solid strategy to protect you.
If no plea deal is made, our criminal defense attorneys are ready to go to trial and present your defense. Aside from defending you, our criminal attorney will also speak on your behalf to ensure that you are protected.
What Else Does A Defense Attorney Do?
- Consult with the client – A personal meeting that allows the criminal attorney to get more details about the case from the client. At The Region Lawyers, we offer free initial case evaluations. When we hear your side of the story, we will be able to identify your best possible defenses and strengths and weaknesses regarding your case.
- Investigate the case – Aside from speaking with the client, the criminal defense lawyer will have time to investigate your case further. This means collecting more evidence, questioning witnesses, the police, or experts who may be useful to building your case. They are also able to review the prosecution’s case before it is submitted to the jury, which means there is an opportunity to pinpoint the gaps in their case and find evidence that refutes their case.
- Analyze evidence – A defense attorney will have the time to study the facts of the case carefully and knows legal theories that may work in your favor. They also have the power to get evidence independently tested if needed to solidify your case.
- Assist with jury selection – Defense lawyers may have jurors removed because they think the person may have a bias against you.
- Negotiate plea bargains – If there is no chance that you will be acquitted of the crime, a defense lawyer will be able to negotiate a plea bargain that is favorite for you, resulting in a reduction of charges or even punishment.
- Representation during sentencing – If you are sentenced for a crime, a criminal attorney can still represent you. This means that they can discuss any other remaining factors to help convince a jury to limit the time that you serve or even discuss alternatives to being incarcerated.
- Appeal decisions – An experienced criminal defense lawyer will know when appealing a conviction or sentence is necessary in your situation.
How Much Does A Criminal Defense Attorney Cost?
How much your defense lawyer will cost depends on the circumstances of your case. Below are some factors that may affect how much it costs to hire an attorney.
Factors that influence the cost of a criminal attorney:
- Your income – If you are unable to afford a private attorney, then a public one will be assigned to you. Additionally, how a private attorney chooses to charge you may vary. Do not hesitate to contact our criminal defense lawyers in Gary to discuss your situation.
- Investigation process – Depending on how serious and complex your case is, your criminal defense lawyer may need to do a certain level of investigation. If hiring specific experts, doctors, psychologists, researchers, chemical tests, travel expenses, etc. are needed, this will be added to your bill.
- Fees – Defense attorney fees will vary. Some will charge a flat-rate fee for services or have an hourly rate, or it may depend on the type of case you have. For example, traffic tickets may fall under a flat rate because they are typically quick cases.
- Length of the case — If your case is complex, you can expect that your total cost will be much higher and that you will be charged hourly.
Consider The Consequences Of Not Having A Lawyer
Hiring a criminal attorney is not cheap, however, also consider the impact of not having a skilled lawyer by your side — you may face some prison time which may mean losing money from being unable to work, or worse: facing years in prison. You may end up with a criminal record which may prevent you from finding employment in the future.
We’ll Start With A Free Initial Consultation
Many criminal defense lawyers take the easy route that involves less work and commitment by taking plea deals for clients. These are often not in your best interest. At The Region Lawyers, we are never afraid to take your case to trial if that is in your best interests. This means thorough preparation of your case which increases leverage when negotiating with prosecutors and raises your chances of a positive outcome in the end. We believe solid preparation and an aggressive stance is key when defending you of any criminal offense.
At The Region Lawyers, our criminal defense attorneys in Gary will start off with a free initial consultation to get all the information about your case. We can determine if we are able to create a solid defense for you and then go from there and discuss costs. If you or someone you love was arrested, call a defense lawyer at our firm today at 219-961-3814 .
Choose An Experienced Trial Lawyer Who Will Fight for You
Every criminal charge is different, with its own set of unique facts and circumstances. At their heart, however, they all involve the risk of harsh penalties and the collateral damage of leaving you with a criminal record that will negatively affect your life in the long-term. Our firm will do everything possible to help you avoid that or to minimize the penalties.
The Region Lawyers is a full-serve criminal defense firm that handles all state and federal investigations, arrests, and formal charges. The best time to contact us is the moment you believe you are under suspicion for a crime. Early intervention from our criminal defense lawyers can help protect your rights, preserve evidence, and increase your chances for fair treatment.
Accused of a crime? Bring your case to a highly-respected firm with proven results. Contact our criminal defense attorneys online or at 219-961-3814 for a free case review. Based in Merrillville, we serve clients throughout Gary and The Region, as well as throughout Indiana and northern Illinois.